Mitsui Zosen Systems Research Inc. first to deliver CGM-based Software Solution
Broomfield, CO – June 29, 2011 - Spatial Corp., a leading provider of 3D development components for design, manufacturing and engineering applications, today announces general availability for Convergence Geometric Modeler (CGM) and 3D InterOp CGM R2012. CGM is the industry’s first new commercial 3D geometry kernel in over 10 years, opening a new set of possibilities for application providers to deliver cutting edge industry solutions. The 3D modeling kernel is the same robust and innovative technology used in Dassault Systèmes’ V5 and V6. The modeler addresses the needs of today’s engineering software developers with a consistent interface for easy integration; foundation-based tolerant modeling to maintain geometrical and topological precision; large model capacity and performance; extensive surfacing capabilities to address stringent modeling requirements; and geometric data compatibility with V5 and V6 for well-integrated PLM workflows. 3D InterOp CGM is a high-performance translator toolkit that delivers CAD translation with the highest-quality data exchange. The products represent Spatial’s commitment to deliver the industry’s best technology and broadest portfolio of 3D software components to application providers.
"We are very excited about the introduction of CGM and 3D InterOp CGM. These products provide not only an excellent opportunity for independent software vendors developing next generation applications to take advantage of the latest technology, to address evolving market needs, but they also allow native geometrical data compatibility with V5 and V6. Together this opens a new set of opportunities to the ISV community," commented Jean-Marc Guillard, Spatial Chief Operating Officer.
In addition to the breadth of functionality available in R2012, CGM supports the future delivery of advanced technology in the areas of multi-processing for high-performance applications, polygonal modeling for applications such as reverse-engineering and medical data modeling, and advanced deformation and warping to address complex design and manufacturing workflows.
MSR Developing CGM-based Application
One example of a customer adopting CGM is Mitsui Zosen Systems Research Inc. (MSR). The company is building an advanced 3D software solution for industrial machines. MSR needed a 3D modeling kernel, CAD translation components and graphic solution that supported their vision of an easy-to-use, high-performance application. Since MSR customers are spread across the automotive, aerospace and machine manufacturing industries they had a requirement for multi-CAD interoperability.
"We chose to work with Spatial because they offer a complete set of well-integrated 3D software components, reducing our integration development effort. Plus, our experience with Spatial had shown that they are exceptional development partners that are very responsive to our development needs. CGM and 3D InterOp CGM were selected because they address all of our 3D modeling requirements along with V5 and V6 data compatibility and interoperability with all of the major CAD systems and formats," stated Mr. Seki, MSR Section Manager of the development. "We will deliver the general release of our CGM-based product in the second half of 2011."
CGM R2012 Capabilities
CGM is a proven 3D modeling component with a consistent interface for easy implementation, a robust set of functionality to meet application needs, and large model capacity and performance; 32 and 64-bit. Key capabilities include:
- Native B-rep Interoperability with Dassault Systèmes V5: preserves full geometric and topological integrity
- Multi-Dimensional Modeling: a rich toolset to define and manipulate solid, surface and wire geometry
- Foundation-based Tolerant Modeling: tolerant modeling designed in from the beginning to ensure precision for natively built and imported models
- Tolerant Operators: fault-tolerant operators, accepting of tolerant topology inputs. Whenever possible, operators strive to improve tolerances, making the result more precise than the input.
- Full Breadth of Operations: a complete suite of modeling operators required by applications in PLM workflows
- High Scalability: optimized performance and low memory consumption for large models
- Advanced Operations: a unique set of specialized operations for creation and modification of complex geometries
- Robust Surfacing: capabilities included blending, covering, and sweeping, with behavior that maintains geometry integrity
- Faceting: a function for generating a polygonal representation of the 3D model
CGM capabilities are wrapped in current object-oriented design technologies including C++ and C# programming language.
3D InterOp CGM R2012 Capabilities
3D InterOp CGM is a high-performance, high-quality set of Brep translators, supporting parts, assemblies and non-geometrical metadata. 3D InterOp CGM R2012 Suite of translators delivers high-performance and high-quality translation of all popular CAD formats including CATIA V4, CATIA V5, SolidWorks®, Inventor®, Pro/ENGINEER®, and NX® and industry standard formats IGES, STEP, and Parasolid®. Capabilities include:
- For CATIA V5, 3D InterOp CGM directly extracts geometry avoiding the need for translation and resulting in performance up to ten times faster than other commercially available translators. 3D InterOp CGM also optimizes the performance of reading industry standard file formats, such as IGES and STEP.
- A unified object oriented interface, making the task of integration straightforward and efficient. 3D InterOp CGM supports all 3D software applications, independent of the underlying modeling engine.
- Post-processing functions to automatically heal and address geometric problems inherited from the source model. Post-processing ensures high-quality translation for data reuse, a critical need for engineering applications that require model interrogation and manipulation.
About Dassault Systèmes
As a world leader in 3D and Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) solutions, Dassault Systèmes brings value to more than 130,000 customers in 80 countries. A pioneer in the 3D software market since 1981, Dassault Systèmes applications provide a 3D vision of the entire lifecycle of products from conception to maintenance to recycling. The Dassault Systèmes portfolio consists of CATIA for designing the virtual product - SolidWorks for 3D mechanical design - DELMIA for virtual production - SIMULIA for virtual testing - ENOVIA for global collaborative lifecycle management, EXALEAD for search-based applications and 3DVIA for online 3D lifelike experiences. For more information, visit
CATIA, DELMIA, ENOVIA, EXALEAD, SIMULIA, SolidWorks and 3D VIA are registered trademarks of Dassault Systèmes or its subsidiaries in the US and/or other countries.
Spatial Corp., a Dassault Systèmes subsidiary, is a leading provider of 3D development software components for technical applications across a broad range of industries. Spatial’s 3D modeling, 3D visualization, and CAD translation software components help application developers deliver market-leading products, maintain focus on core competencies, and reduce time-to-market. Spatial 3D components have been adopted by some of the world's most recognized software developers, manufacturers, research institutes, and universities. Headquartered in Broomfield, Colorado, Spatial has offices in the USA, Germany, Japan, China and the United Kingdom. For more information, please visit
ACIS and SAT are registered trademarks of Spatial Corp. Other brand and product names are trademarks of their respective owners. Copyright © 2011 Spatial Corp.